Sunday, November 9, 2008

Songs of the Season










Today I write with much love swelling up from within my heart. I am anxiously anticipating our next holiday--and no I'm not speaking of Thanksgiving,although I have much to be thankful for. I am referring to the "holiday of holidays"-- the "season of seasons"-- the best of times...You've got it:Christmas! I love everything about this time especially because it is a season of remembrance for the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ--mad props Constantine. But as an added bonus to the true reason I love Christmas (Jesus) is the music. Let me just say that when I say "music" I am not referring to that load of poo we hear over and over again in the mall or at Target. No! I am speaking of those Cd's that take refuge in our cases and desk drawers, eagerly anticipating that day and time where they will be removed from those places of safe harbor and once again resume their role as celebratory and nostalgia-filled merry-makers, to be broadcast over loud speakers in our homes, cars and the occasional parade or two. I am not ashamed of my love for Christmas music. I am professing my undying love for those classics of yesterday that never cease to evoke the awe and wonder of my childhood. I long for those times when composers actually composed music with intentional care and reverence for the season. Needless to say I will not be purchasing the litany of albums put out at mind blowing speed just in time for the holidays by Pop artists such as The Cheetah Girls or their trashy-not classy older sisters The Pussy Cat Dolls or by any other poser-composers. Nope. I've been called a lot of things in my life--stubborn, hard-headed etc. But I've never been called a fool or pushover and I'm not about to give the world a reason to make a new claim. So today I salute those Christmas classics of the past with much gratitude and love. This music has made the car ride from Fairhope to Atmore and Mobile to Atmore every Christmas Eve for the past 20 years, all the more tolerable and has left me filled with a sense of wonder that has never ceased to leave. I have to admit that every time I see a blinking red light in the distance coming from a radio tower--for a moment I think to myself,"Could it be? Really?...Ru..Ru..Rudolph?" Then I come to my senses and smile at the little girl within me--the one I miss when times are hard or nearly unbearable at times--and I conclude that she never really left..that the little girl within me will always be and that is a gift in and of itself. Merry Christmas my friends :)

Favorite Songs of All Time:

O Holy Night

All I Want for Christmas is You

Christmas in Africa

The First Noel

Angels We Have Heard on High

Favorite Albums of All Time:

NOW That's What I Call Christmas Vol. I

Merry Christmas, Mariah Carey

Christmas Offerings, Third Day

Songs 4 Worship: Christmas Joy

Home for Christmas, NSYNC

White Christmas, Martina McBride

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Harry Connick Jr----remember this song, "Santa Claus, Santa Claus, must have been ole, Santa Claus, Santa Claus, Happy Ho Ho Ho to you!" Yeah, I liked that one.

O Holy Night is still my number one!